February 1, 2013

Bestiary: Ye Olde Creature Catalogue

I realized that I had not posted a recent Dungeons & Dragons monster I got to update and illustrate, time to rectify that oversight... Dragon #418 features the article, Bestiary: Ye Olde Creature Catalogue, and I was tasked with updating the wily Decapus. They call it a Decapus because it has ten arms... and because it lives in trees. Wait... Anyway, the Decapus is one of those monsters that has been around in D&D for a very long time and I was thrilled to get the chance to update it. This is how the final tentacled beast turned out...

Decapus
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

There were some classic characteristics that I had to adhere to, but other then that the description was rather open to interpretation and I had a lot of fun making the monster come to life. Here is the drawing for the Decapus as well as a process progression of the painting...

Decapus - Drawing
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast

Decapus - Process Progression
© 2012 Wizards of the Coast
 
RAWR!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Chris! Really dig the color palette in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Chris! The tentacles and suckers came out great! It should really have more teeth though, don't you think? I mean, there are so few of them, and they're not very pointy :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands were tied... I was made to put in just a couple blunt teeth. I wanted to do more... but production wasn't having it. :P

      Delete