October 28, 2011

Terrors of the Silt Sea

I recently got to design and illustrate a brand new monster for the Dungeons & Dragons Dark Sun campaign setting. This was my first chance to do anything for Dark Sun and I had a great time working on this piece. It was described as a horrific combination of an angler fish and a lizard... and if there is one thing I can do is combine an angler fish with another animal. RAWR!

Terrors of the Silt Sea: Oasis Beast
© 2011 Wizards of the Coast

Here is a process break down for this piece. Always hard to explain that the 'magic' happens somewhere between step two and three and if you try to see it, it will disappear.

In just six easy steps, watch your favorite fighter be devoured... OM NOM NOM

10 comments:

  1. Yikes, look at all those teeth. Great creature design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris! I decided it really needed ALL the teeth. There are now no more teeth in Dark Sun... this guys has them now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, the teeth are great! It's like a twisted reincarnation of Aahz from Myth Adventures (that's meant as a compliment, I loved those graphic novels as a kid). Was this done for the magazines, or a Dark Sun source book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Was done for this months Dungeon Magazine. I missed the source book unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great creature, Christopher! Love all the details.

    I was wondering, step 2 - did you do the basic color with watercolors or already digital? Looks very organic, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent piece and great walkthrough. I am also curious about medium.

    Great post! Thanks Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys! It is all digital after the drawing which is pencil on paper. To be honest I have never really worked traditionally with color, but recently the idea of getting paints and a brush seem really appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, dude, great design! Thanks for posting the process pictures, definitely cool seeing it transition to a final image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd no idea your work was digital until now, Chris!! Great vertical design, and there'ain'othin' like a giant maw full of toofs.!! =)

    ReplyDelete