October 5, 2011

Raven Mimura

Many thanks to Craig for bringing us all together, in this great format.  And thank you to all the contributors, not only for participating, but for doing such inspiring work.  Browsing through it is definitely a kick in the butt and a reminder to keep honing my craft.
 
I have lived in Seattle since 2000, where my roots continue to burrow ever deeper.  My partner Deirdre is kind enough to share an apartment with me… along with my studio, my weapons, armor, costumes, books, props, models, prints, etc.

Surpisingly, I have only met a couple of the other locals (of the Pacific NW) posting here.  I look forward to changing that soon.
---
I received a BFA in Illustration from the Rhode Island School of Design (quite a change from Dallas, where I was born and raised).

As soon as I finished school, I spent a couple months getting my portfolio up to speed, then made my industry debut by attending GenCon, and putting my portfolio in front of anyone who would look at it.  I got my first (tiny) projects from those portfolio reviews, and I've been a full-time freelancer ever since.  For several years, I worked traditionally (initially in watercolor, then acrylics), before transitioning to all-digital.
---
My initial inspiration to follow this career path came from playing D&D with my brother, in 4th grade.  I loved poring over the game books and looking at all the art.  Even at that age, it occurred to me that someone must actually *make* that art, and that seemed like a pretty cool thing to do.  I pursued art in various forms all through grade school and high school, while also continuing to immerse myself in all manner of fantasy and sci-fi geekery.

I continue to be an avid gamer (tabletop, as well as video).  I have only once played a character for whom I had done the original character class illustration.  It couldn’t be helped.

I have been honored to work on some of my favorite properties from childhood:  D&D, Star Wars, Shadowrun, Lord of the Rings, etc.  And in recent times, I’ve been doing a lot of work for the WoW card game.

For more, head to my site:  www.ravenmimura.com

9 comments:

  1. Raven,

    Great stuff. As far as I'm concerned, you're the one who's given 4th Edition gnomes their very cool, exotic fey look and crazy hair. I bought a print of your Monster Manual gnome from you at GenCon once, proudly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work Raven! The mountain landscape blows me away, and I absolutely love the costuming and pose of Daphne's Undertaking. Many thanks for taking part in the collective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful as always, Raven !! Don't think I've seen that landscape? but just Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always been a huge fan of that Daphne's Undertaking piece - awesome to see you posting here, sir. Top notch work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Raven, I love that undead beholder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn, Raven, your stuff is killer! Your WoW stuff blows me away. Great stuff all around! Glad to have you here in the group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jeff-- thanks! it was fun doing the concepting of the 4e gnome. glad someone appreciates it! i've enjoyed seeing the gnomes that have come after it. :)

    @Everyone-- thanks a bunch. it's great to be here. getting a compliment in this context (either among these other fine illustrators, or from them) is high praise.

    about the landscape-- it was actually the background for a set of illos i did for a series of high-end (gaming) video card boxes. i ended up doing all these landscapes for the project, and a couple of them worked really well on their own (without the character that went with them. they were kind of graphically arranged together anyway, so the characters weren't really integrated in the scenes anyway). it's kind of nice to have a couple pieces that are just landscapes. not much of that happens in our portfolios. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raven, I love all of your stuff- really like the Energy Portal piece. I don't think I'd seen that one before for some reason.

    ReplyDelete