September 29, 2011

Chris Rahn

Hey everyone!

First of all, I want to thank Craig for putting this whole thing together and for the chance to be involved. It's really great to be counted amongst such a talented group.

Where to begin...I grew up in a little tiny farming town in Washington state. From there I shipped to off to study illustration at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. Since graduating in '07 I've been lucky enough to work with a lot of different clients, both in and out of the sci-fi-fantasy realm, including Wizards of the Coast, Blizzard, Fantasy Flight Games, Random House, The Village Voice and LA Weekly. 

Nowadays I'm living back in my little hometown with my wife and fellow illustrator, Betty.


My out of date website: www.rahnart.com
Much more up to date blog: http://www.chrisrahnart.blogspot.com

Here are a few samples of my work, all of which are painted in oils:







10 comments:

  1. Chris. I'm so glad I didn't have to follow your post. haha.. killer samples to show off, man. The sorcerer piece is probably one of my favorites of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing palettes Chris! Ever since going digital I've been fighting with too much hue saturation, your naturalistic application of color is really inspiring. Fantastic work, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, didn't know Betty's husband was an illustrator too! Amazing work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am happy I didn't have to follow you Chris. You are the master!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!

    Craig - Yeah, I found the same thing back when I did some digital work. Something about that saturation slider is awfully tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful work as always, Chris !! Wish I would've been able to pick your brain while you were in Portland, but perhaps we'll meet at a con one day..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome work, man. It's been said a bunch up-top there, but I had to put in my two cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Chris-- good to see you at GenCon this year. i wish i'd taken the opportunity to check out your work in the flesh while i had the chance. i really enjoy the painterly look to your work, and i'm sure that it's even more fun to savor in person, up close. i, too, love the sorcerer piece, and i particularly enjoy the handling of the blue crystal. it really feels like light is bouncing off it, and bouncing around in it... yet you've handled it with confident, loose strokes that aren't at all finicky. hard to do with crystals and light, at least for me. great work all around.

    ReplyDelete